For electronic posterity... since I've been making this recipe long enough that I'm on my second hand-written copy (I don't even remember if the original recipe was in a book or online).
Begin making this an hour before you want to serve it. I've done it in as little as 30 minutes, but it's better if the tortellini has time to really soak up the vinaigrette dressing.
For the marinade/dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp oregano
- scant 1/2 tsp salt
For the salad:
- about 1 pound of tortellini (frozen or fresh)
- 6oz (at least) of spinach (or lettuce - I usually buy a 6-8oz pre-washed bag and use the whole thing)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
1. Cook tortellini according to package instructions.
2. While tortellini is cooking, combine all the "dressing" ingredients in a large bowl (use a whisk or shake it up in a jar and pour into the bowl).
3. When the tortellini is finished cooking, drain and run cold water over it until it's close to room temperature.
4. Toss the cooled tortellini with the dressing; refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Remove from refrigerator, stir to move the dressing around again, then add greens, onions, and cheese. Toss and serve.
Optional: add grape tomatoes to add a little color to the salad.