I've been tempted to simply move out and sue her, but nightskyre doesn't want to do that. Since we'll "owe" her at least four months' rent, it's too big for small claims court. I'm not even sure we'd have much of a case; it looks like it's valid under Massachusetts law to force us to keep paying rent.
Basically, our options are:
- Stay in the apartment until May 2006, then move. We certainly won't be renewing the lease.
- Start advertising for a subletter, give a deposit for the Maynard house-for-rent, and hope that we'll find a subletter within the next couple of months. The new landlord won't hold the house for us indefinitely (nor should she).
- Give the required 4 months notice (!?!) to our current landlord, and hope that she finds someone, otherwise we'll be stuck paying rent to her until she does find a new tenant.
- Move out now and pay the consequences (one way or another).